Swimming pool light niches are known as the housing for the pool light. These light niches are of different sizes, they can either be big and small in sizes. And they can be used for vinyl liner and concrete construction. They can also be used for fiberglass swimming pool finishes. Normally, swimming pools make use of larger niches while spas use the smaller niches. But of recent, the lights are bright enough. And they can be placed in a smaller niche. Did your swimming pool light niche got spoilt or do you wish to change it? And you do not understand how to do it? Don’t worry, this how-to replace a pool light niche article is for you.
Types of pool light niche
Based on material
Swimming pool lights are placed inside the niche. It serves as housing for it. Without a correct or proper niche, a swimming pool or spa light will not perform very well.
G-unite plastic niches are made of PVC. They are corrosion-resistant and are very durable. They can be easily installed. This is because of the rebar tie-back and a plaster ring. This equipment made it easier for its installation. A vinyl pool light niche on the other hand is equipped with brass or chrome sealing rings. And its housing is made of stainless steel.
Based on the size
There are big and small sizes for both niches. And they can be used for vinyl liner and concrete construction. They can also be used for fiberglass swimming pool finishes. Normally, swimming pools make use of larger niches while spas use the smaller niches. But of recent, the lights are bright enough. And they can be placed in a smaller niche. So when buying a niche know the size of the niche you want. And at the same time the type, so as not to get it wrong.
First thing first
The pool light niche is very easy to replace. If the niche got damaged, repairing can be costly. The CMP light repair adapter fitting is made to replace the screw and notch connections on the light faceplate. Usually, if the faceplate got damaged, repairing it does consume some time.
Now, when changing the pool light niche. You don’t have to pull out the entire light cord and put it back again. When you want to repair it the light repair fitting will open up. Then you can put the light cord in before you close the fitting.
After that, you have lowered the level of the pool. And unscrewed the niche from the fitting. There are some common things you have to know before you start to install it.
- The hole in which the light niche is installed will go into the bottom of the wall. Normally, it should be some inches away from the finished floor. But if it is a small light, its depth may change.
- You should be aware that halogen lights will emit light that is different from LED lights. These characteristics will show when in the swimming pool.
- Also, know that the conduit through which your light cord will pass will hold water.
Now let’s go into replacing the niche. Make sure the wall panels installed and the footer are working well.
- Insert the light niche from the inside and pass through to the outside of the pool wall. Now screw the niche to the wall. The screw to be used is usually the two flat-head screw and the machined screw. The screws are placed both at the top and bottom of the niche. This is the only part that should be done before you install the liner. The only thing to do is the bonding and the electrical conduit.
- Next is to fix the light. Ensure that the pool is filled below the light level. And the power is off. From inside of the pool, the wall finds the top screw hole in the niche. And on one hand, hang the light screw ring and the gasket. Hang them with one screw to the top hole of the ring. Locate the screw hole which represents the screw in the light ring. Once you find the hole push the screw in and with a screwdriver, screw it in. When you are done with the ring, tighten all the screws. Then, with a sharp razor blade, cut away the liner inside the ring.
- Now, all the extra wire pulls them all out through the of the niche. But leave out enough wire that will allow the light fixture to rest on the deck. Do not let the wire to be too much, from the niche to the deck.
- Pick the light fixture and coil the light cables around it and place them all in the niche.
- Once the light is placed in the niche. To hold the light steady set the bottom tab of the light in the bottom of the light ring. With a screwdriver, fix the screw at the top of the light. Know that water will flood the light to the niche. So, ensure that the light fixture sits very well. And it is well screwed to the bottom of the niche.
Changing the pool light niche can be a little difficult task. But with the right direction and simple steps, you should be able to deal with it. But if you still have the fear of handling it yourself, you can seek the assistance of a professional. Above are some simple and easy steps on how to replace a pool light niche. With these highlighted steps you can easily change the damaged light niche in your swimming pool. Even if you just feel like replacing the old light niche that is there before with another one. This article has been of help. When getting a new niche, be reminded that they are of different sizes. Be careful not to get a smaller niche for your pool. Else, the pool light you have is bright enough. And can fit in a smaller niche.